Difficulty rating: Little Women
Deliciousness rating: NEWT
They ate in the zoo restaurant and when Dudley had a tantrum because his knickerbocker glory wasn’t big enough, Uncle Vernon bought him another one and Harry was allowed to finish the first (Rowling UK 24-25, US 26).
DUDLEY DURSLEY’S KNICKERBOCKER GLORY
Adapted from BBC Good Food’s recipe
- 2 pints of Ben and Jerry’s vanilla ice cream
- Peach layer
- 3-4 large peaches
- 75g golden caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp for coulis
- Large basil leaves
- 75 ml Aquavit
- Raspberry coulis:
- 250-300g fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 250g fresh strawberries, hulled
- 100g thin round crisp biscuits (we had hazelnut cookies from La Boulange)
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Tuiles or cigarillos, to serve
- Mint sprigs, to serve
1. Cut the peaches into 8 wedges.
5. Put the peaches into a shallow bowl to cool (we refrigerated them a bit). Add a good bit of cold water in the pan and reheat till it dissolves. Pour over the peaches and cool. We put it in the refrigerator, as it was a hot day.
7. Cut strawberries into wedges.
9. Scoop ice cream on top, whipped cream if desired, and decorate with berries, mint, and Pirouline.
It was even more delicious than we imagined! It was such a perfect, summery dessert on a hot day. We luckily found excellent peaches at Ripe, a produce stand in North Park. (Good peaches are SO HARD to find.) We would probably leave out the strawberries next time — they felt unnecessary, since the raspberry/peach combination is pretty great as it is.