Author: Rowling, J.K.
Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Difficulty rating: Harry Potter
Deliciousness rating: Exceeds Expectations
Fred, George, Harry, and Ron were the only ones who knew that the angel on top of the tree was actually a garden gnome that had bitten Fred on the ankle as he pulled up carrots for Christmas dinner (Book 6: UK 309, US 329).
Did it measure up?
Miko: I’m not a fan of carrots as a rule, but I actually like these. They taste almost like sweet potato!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 tbs salted butter
- 500g carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over high heat.
- Put in the carrots and toss them intermittently so they don’t burn.
- Add sugar and keep tossing every now and again.
- When the carrots are all covered in butter but showing hints of translucency at the edges (about 10 minutes), cover and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook till they’re tender but still have a bite to them.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and toss a bit more over heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle parsley on top just before serving.
Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. London: Bloomsbury, 2005.
Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2005.